Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving Road Trip Part 2

I apologize for being a huge blogging slacker.  After we got home from our trip, I got caught up in unpacking, laundry, and preparing to head back into the real world yesterday.  I also spent a huge chunk of last night working on my blog background, banner, font, and other "important" things so I didn't get a post ready.

Back to Thanksgiving Break.  We got up Wednesday with plans to head to the Brookfield Zoo.  But, the weather had other plans.  It was cloudy, cold, and looked like it could rain at any minute.  So we changed out plans, and it was a good thing, too.  Around noon, we saw snowflakes and sleet.  That later to to all rain.  We took our time getting ready and then braved the weather to get food.  We went to Al's Beef and it was just as delicious as it had been last summer.  The Italian Beef sandwiches are to die for (as was most of the food we ate on this trip). 


The sandwich was mine, but we shared the chili cheese fries.  Yum!
After lunch we decided to catch a movie and saw Megamind.  It was a cute movie, especially since it was in 3D.  Then, we spent a little time shopping at Costco since we don't have one around it and it happens to be one of hubbies favorite stores.  They had some really nice Christmas stuff and I was planning all the neat toys my children will have.  
That even we visited my great-aunt and great-uncle.  We get to see them a couple times a year and really enjoy spending time with them.  We had a nice Italian dinner and got caught up on everything that had happened since we were together during the summer.  I always love hearing the old stories about my granddad, but they always make me really miss him.

Thursday was the big day: Thanksgiving!!  It's always an excuse to eat way too much and watch way too much football.  We did both!  We got up and caught a few minutes of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (always one of my favorites)!!  Then, we met up with my great-uncle to head out to my counsin's, where we would be partaking in our feast.  The big adventure always revolves around the turkey, which is always fried.  One year was such a disaster that we ended up eating cornish hens from the nearest grocery store!  This year nothing horrible happened, but dinner was slightly delayed due to an oil shortage which caused the men to run to the same mentioned store to purchase more.  The men are such a hoot! By listening to them you would think that preparing a turkey was a serious science.

Try to remove giblets and deciding the next step to take!



Injecting the bird with marinade.

Dinner went off without a hitch and was enjoyed by all.  Almost everyone was semi-comatose afterward.  The women, however, did manage our traditional after-dinner walk around the neighborhood.  It was a short one because of the cold wind, brrrr!  I enjoyed the chance to see my family and enjoy being together.  I hope everyone had as great a Thanksgiving as I did.

2 comments:

  1. I love the pretty layout and fonts! Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog looks great. :)

    The picture of those chili cheese fries just made my stomach growl!

    ReplyDelete