Friday, October 1, 2010

Sick Day

Well, I'm off work again today.  I started feeling a little off on Monday, but I self-medicated with Dayquil, Advil, etc. and kind of blew it off.  This was supposed to be a busy week.  We were doing some testing at school that I needed to be there for so I could provide modifications for my students.  Plus, this was Parent Conference week.  So, I was supposed to work late and sit in on conferences with my students' parents.  I also was supposed to go to class on Wednesday night.

By Wednesday, I could barely talk and very little energy.  That is when I decided I just had to go to the doctor after school.  I sat in my one conference I really needed to and then headed to the doctor's office.  My diagnosis was a mutated form of Strep Throat and Bronchitis.  Yucky!  Needless to say I didn't make it to class that night and was ordered not to go to work for at least the next day, preferably for two days.  Today is an inservice day and I was planning on going back for it.  However, the principal and assistant principal told me to just stay home and get plenty of rest.  They will make sure I get my hours I need.   They really didn't want me to infect everyone else and they trust that I know what is necessary for the audit that is coming up in a couple weeks.

Hopefully, I will be back on my feet and ready to go soon.  It is such a relief to work in an environment where the leadership really does care about the employees.  They want what is best for everyone, not just what they see as best on their agenda.  I am truly grateful for my job and all the support I get in it.  When I become a school leader in the next few years, I will definitely remember this experience and strive to make the staff that works under me feel the way I feel today.

3 comments:

  1. Get better soon - that sounds awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's REALLY sick! I'm glad you've had time to rest and recoup but don't you just hate to waste your sick days on being sick??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are feeling better very soon! I was thinking that it was so great to work with people who want you to get rested and better (and not infect everyone else! :) ). Then you said the same thing. :) Have a peaceful weekend!

    ReplyDelete