Saturday, January 30, 2010

Just a Small Setback

I was thinking about getting out of bed this morning when I heard a text message come through on my phone.  It was from Lt. Lee asking where I lived and if I would be able to pick Mike up from the airport.  To cut to the chase, Mike didn't pass his test this morning.  All these thoughts were running through my mind:  What happened?  How did this happen?  What are we going to do now?  I didn't get to talk to Mike for another 8 torturous hours.  The only positive I could carry with me were Lt. Lee's words:  "he felt he wanted to try again."  Mike didn't want to quit now, he wanted to keep going in this journey.  The journey may just end up taking a little longer than we had originally planned.

I have come to realized we aren't being punished by God, we are just getting things done in God's time, not ours.  I have been reading the Bible chronologically.  My plan is to be done by the end of the year.  Right now I'm in Job.  Job went through a lot of suffering and this suffering wasn't in response to anything he had done.  While our suffering isn't anything near what Job dealt with, we too will be like Job and persevere and remain faithful to God and his plan for us.

I finally got to talk to Mike.  He is coming to Little Rock tonight and can hopefully return to me tomorrow. I can't wait to see him and smother him with hugs, kisses, and the knowledge that I am so proud of him.  Our military journey won't be quick or easy, but he let me know that he wants his commission and when he gets home, he's going to look into all of his options.  Through prayer and patience (which by the way, is my biggest fault), we will get to where God wants us to be.  I truly believe this wasn't the right place or right time.  I think is was just preparation for what is in store for us.  God knows where we are headed and I choose to follow Him to get there.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you Lorrie!! You are absolutely right... God is not surprised at all about any of this. He will see you through all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lorrie, Thanks for visiting my blog. It sounds like you're really going through it at your house. :( I'm glad you know where to turn for inspiration and hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry to hear about this setback. As you said, though, it is a setback, not an end to your journey! Please encourage your husband to reach out to other servicemembers who can encourage him as well and help him think through his options. I'm proud of him for wanting to serve in this way and of you for supporting him so wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete