Friday, January 29, 2010

Week 1 of OCS

Mike has been at Fort McClellan for a week now.  Only seven more to go.  I just pray that God gives him the strength to make it through.  On Wednesday I wrote about some discouraging letters I had received from Mike.  I didn't get anything yesterday, but when I ventured out to the mailbox around noon through snow and ice today there was another letter waiting for me.  This one was even worse than the first two I have received.  I have never heard/seen Mike so beat down before.  And here I am several hundred miles away, powerless to do anything to help him except send letters that take days to arrive.  The letter I got today was written on Monday, and he was seriously contemplating leaving and coming back home.  I do believed that God intervened, though.  He talked to his TAC (training officer) about how he was feeling.  This guy is from Arkansas, but I don't really think he knew what to do so he spoke to another officer from Arkansas, Lt. Lee.  This man is awesome.  He took time out of his schedule to get with Mike and really talk to him.  I don't know what exactly was said, but Mike agreed to wait until the next day to make a decision.

That is all the information I received in my letter.  That left me with a horrible feeling in my stomach and my heart.  I knew I needed to do something, but what?  Then, I remember Lt. Lee had given me his card with his contact information on it before they all left for Alabama and told me I could contact him at any time if I needed anything.  To make a long story short,  I ended up texting him see if he knew anything about how Mike was doing.  He got back to me very quickly and said that Mike came back the next day and told him he was going to try to make it through.  Lt. Lee was very encouraging and told Mike that the worst part would be over soon.  He also told Mike to let him know if he had any more problems.   Lt. Lee told me that he really wants Mike to make it through because he will be a great officer.  With each text I got, I loved that man more and more.  He was there looking out for Mike in my absence.  He also told me he would let Mike know that I had asked about him!!!  Well, I thought that was the end of the conversation.

Just a few minutes ago, I got another text telling me that Mike had failed his land navigation test by one today, but that he would get to retake it in the morning.  He also told me he would keep me posted.  Being the concerned and somewhat uniformed wife, I asked what would happen if Mike didn't pass tomorrow.  His reply, "  He'll pass.  They had a study session tonight."  I felt encouraged by his positive attitude and the fact that he took his own time to let me know about Mike.  God truly does step in and put people in our lives for a reason.  I know Lt. Lee was brought into our life to be positive and encouraging to Mike and me!

Please pray for Mike that he pass his test tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment