Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Such a Great Book!!

Recently I read this book:


I highly recommend that everyone read this book.  It is about a 5th grader named Melody.  She is brilliant.  The problem is that nobody knows it.  Melody also has Cerebral Palsy.  She has never spoken a word or had friends.  The book talks about her journey to become a "regular" kid and letting everyone know what is truly going on insider her.  

This book should be read by all kids, parents, teachers, and anyone else that is interested in knowing what it is like to have be different from what is considered the norm.  There are so many things I would never have thought about that Melody faces.  I teach special education and I now realize no matter how much I know about a particular disability, I don't really know what life is like for that child.

This book encourages people to not assume anything and to empathize with people with a disability, but don't have pity on them.  My job should be to help them to reach their fullest potential and offer them the support they need to be as independent as possible.  I should also empathize with parents and help them find the support and resources they need.

I'll be quiet now, but I could go on and on about this book.  It touched me so deeply.  I laughed, cried, cheered, and got angry while reading this book.  It showed me the true nature of so many people.  It made me want to be a better woman and teacher.  

1 comment:

  1. That sounds wonderful!!! I wonder if it would be good to read to the boys.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete