Monday, February 6, 2012

Just Grow Up

The thought that has been haunting me over the past several days is that I just need to grow up.  I have been having childish thoughts lately and have become rather cynical over things that really shouldn't amount to a hill of beans to me.  

I have been trying to read the motives behind Facebook and blog posts.  Why would so and so say that?  What are they trying to prove?  Are they trying to show off?  Are they trying to make me feel bad for what I post?  The list of questions that go through my head are endless.  Here is what I have decided:  It doesn't matter.  

Their motives should not matter to me.  I should just take the posts at face value.  If it is good, I should be happy for them.  If it is bad or sad, I should sympathize and pray for them.  If there are motives behind it, that is their business.  I realize that I have been spending way too much time analyzing things that are probably aren't even there.  These are my "friends."  I should treat them like that.

I hope people don't do the same with the things I write.  I try not to put too much on Facebook and post every 5 minutes.  I love my blog and have started enjoying it even more.  I don't keep it for other people, although it is definitely nice to get feedback and support from others.  I keep it for me.  It is a great way to journal about what has been going on in our lives and my thoughts and feelings about those things.

However, I am going to try to be more conscious about how I write about the events in our lives.  I don't want to seem like I am bragging about anything.  Bragging and too much pride in oneself only leads to hate and that it definitely something God does not want to see.  So I need to be aware of how I am presenting myself.  

I love getting to travel, go to ballgames, go to movies and plays.  I really do love those things, but what makes them so special is that I get to do these things with my family.  These are things that we enjoy doing together.  They are shared interests that bring us together.  I write about doing all of these things because when I look back at doing them I remember the fun we had as a family.

When I think about why I share about these things on Facebook and my blog, I'm sure those are the same reasons everyone also shares what is going on in their lives, too.  I am going to grow up and enjoy everyone else's fun family memories and stop looking for bad things.  Positivity is a good thing that I need to spend more time searching for.

Here is what brought me some joy this weekend.  When I got home Saturday from some training for a new program I am going to be involved in at school (I'll share more about that later.),  I found these waiting for me:
pink bouquet
pinknpurple
There was no special occasion, just hubby being sweet.  It brought me joy and added a bit of color and cheer to the house!

2 comments:

  1. Those are pretty flowers! I sometimes deal with the same thoughts when I read posts by certain people. But, you just have to take it with a grain of salt and say, "does it affect me?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing flowers, and insights! I went through a major funk regarding my blog... kind of like,"Why bother? Who's reading it?" I also struggled with having positive things to say, or being able to find the funny in the everyday things. So, I quit writing with any passion. Then Mike needed my computer, and so I couldn't write anyway. Then I missed it! I am enjoying it again, and find it helpful with sorting things out, or just trying to make someone laugh. It's true though, you have to do it for you, or else you set yourself up for frustration and disappointment. I really enjoy reading what you have written...I have really come to treasure the blog friends I have made. I am glad we are getting to know one another better. :)

    ReplyDelete