Monday, June 27, 2011

I Can Choose My Own Attitude

I know I haven't blogged a lot recently, but my summer has been full of not much to blog about. I am thoroughly enjoying myself, just haven't done a lot that is worthy of writing about.

I mentioned not long ago that the church where hubby and I got married and where we attend when we are in Central Arkansas, got a new pastor. Sunday was his first service and I have to admit, I really was moved by his message. He wasn't trying to replace the old pastor, he was just being himself and his sermon could not have been more timely, both for me personally and for the church as a whole.

The title was "Some Truths About Change." If I'm being honest, I don't do well with change; it's a big stressor for me. However, I do realize that things are always changing and I am working on trying to be more accepting of it and even welcoming to it. People's lives are always in flux and there are times when we are begging for change, whether it be jobs, housing, having kids, relationships, etc. I realize I'm pretty good with change that I want, it's those unexpected changes that throw me for a loop.

I also know that I am not very patient. When I want something to happen, I want it to happen immediately. Like with hubby's job situation. I want to him to get a teaching position and I want to know about it now. This attitude reminds me of a child and their need for instant gratification. That kind of attitude really isn't appropriate for an adult like me. I know everything will work out in God's time, not mine. This change will occur when it is supposed to, not necessarily when I want it to. I meed to quit avoiding the change I don't want as well as trying to rush the changes I do want.

Back to the sermon, one of the biggest ideas I got was that I can choose MY attitude. Rick Warren has the following idea about change:
There is no growth without change.
There is no change without loss.
There is no loss without grief.
There can be grief without despair.


I will not despair about change or the lack of it. I will choose my attitude!

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says,
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

This is my new mantra. I choose to be joyful! I choose to be prayerful! I choose to be thankful! There is one thing I know will never change and that is God and His love for me. Thanks Brother Kevin for this most timely reminder.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it wonderful when a message is just what we need to hear?! Very encouraging words.
    Thank you for your encouraging words...you always leave such great comments, Lorrie. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete